Pique Simplicity 2443 – Part III

Well, after recutting several pieces of the front, I figured out what was bothering my eye: the right sleeve. It was just. Too. Much. I recut it with less flower and no yellow and like it so much better! Here, the darts have been sewn but not pressed. After another try-on I discovered that the lower back needs to be taken in a bit.

front

In my stash I found a bolt of lightweight cotton pique that I bought for very little on Ebay awhile ago. I think I paid $40 for the entire bolt! It would be a good weight for summer PJs or a tailored shirt – very thin. It is perfect for the piping and binding.

pique

I picked up some 3/32″ cord from JoAnn’s home dec department. It’s much more delicate than the standard 5/32″. Unfortunately, they only had the twisted cord but it looks okay. I prefer the beige untwisted cord because it’s much smoother but the smallest size they had was 5/32″. Since the cord is 100% cotton and the fabric had not been preshrunk, I made my piping and cut and joined my bias binding before putting everything into a lingerie bag in the washer and dryer.

piping

Notice that I’m not using a welting foot. I have a whole collection of them but find that the zip foot on my commercial machine (this is my beloved Consew 105) works just great.

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under Simplicity, Year of the Jacket

5 responses to “Pique Simplicity 2443 – Part III

  1. Sally

    It sure pays to have a stash! I can’t wait to see the final project.

  2. this jacket intrigues me, I am looking forward to seeing more and finally…the finished garment

  3. What a stroke of inspiration, the flower looks beautiful crossing over from the torso to sleeve.

  4. Love the pique for the piping Gigi! Kenneth King recommends rattail and mousetail cord for piping filler.

  5. Beverly

    I am glad you redid the sleeve. There was something not balanced and it looks much better. I think the piping is great.