Since I was unable to go away with DBF this weekend due to my less-than-speedy recovery from oral surgery (blech) I am working on getting things cleaned up and finishing up some UFOs.
I had this beautiful fabric leftover from my latest Cosmopolitan Dress and wanted to squeeze out a top before tossing the scraps. Kwik-Sew 2845 seemed perfect – a little bit bohemian – for the paisley print. This used to be one of my very favorite TNT patterns. However, when I lost weight a couple of years ago, the pattern no longer fit and it’s taken me this long to get around to retracing it. Lazy! My original pattern had been a small with a 1″ FBA so this time I decided to just start with a straight XS. Since my bust is much smaller I skipped the FBA but I did add 1″ in length because it seemed a wee bit short. Overall, I am pretty happy with the fit but I will do an FBA next time as the underbust seam is about 1/2″ too high and I’d like more gathers around the neckline. I’d also like a little more length so I’ll add another inch.
Other changes I made to the pattern was a 5/8″ forward shoulder adjustment and I eliminated the gathers under the bust. I think I like it better with the gathers so I’m adding them back in for the next one.
Instead of making buttonholes for the neckline cording I added a seam at the center front. I just think it’s easier and looks a lot neater. Yeah, I know my match is a wee bit off but I knew the cord would cover it so I just left it! No matter how carefully I measure and mark my buttonholes are always a tiny bit off and there is no room for error here. Instead of the ribbon the pattern calls for I made self-fabric cording.
The sleeves are from Kwik-Sew 2643, a long-discontinued pattern. I already knew from last time that they fit into the armscye perfectly so it was just a matter of tracing off a new size. Remember to remove 1/8″ from the armscye of 2845 because it has a 3/8″ hem allowance.
I think this jersey has really had a workout this weekend! First, there was Summerset’s Burda WOF top, Cidell’s maxi dress and now my humble little scrap top. Well, I’m off to make those alterations and trace the pattern onto oak tag!