Milly Blouse – Part IV

Sad to say, I accomplished nothing this weekend! It was a big football weekend, which ordinarily would mean loads of ME time but, due to a series of unfortunate events, it didn’t work out that way.

Now, it’s Monday and I’m back on track! After wearing the test blouse, I decided that I’d like to lower the neckline about 1″. I figured 1″ would give me enough “breathing room” without compromising the look I’m after. If you go to the Milly site, you can see that the original neckline is pretty high. Mine’s going to be a lot lower so I may have to shorten the ruffle, which is okay with me.

Here is how I altered the neckband:

neckband1

I drew a vertical (red) line just to the outside the shoulder seam and marked a match point across the line (also in red). I then slashed the pattern apart, marked another line 1″ below the match point (2nd red line) and slid the CF section down and trued the curves.

Here’s how the new and original pieces compare:

neckband2

Tomorrow, I will alter the bodice front and then sew up a quick test garment to check my alterations. I also need to add the hidden placket. Then, it’s cutting time!

My new crystals arrived today! I lucked into these beautiful square Swarovski sew-on crystals at a really good price on Etsy. Unfortunately, the seller only had 16 but I think I can make that work. If not, I’ll save them for something else and use the crystal beads I already have.

rhinestones

About these ads

13 Comments

Filed under Alterations, Aren't you glad you sew?, Butterick

13 responses to “Milly Blouse – Part IV

  1. I’m getting excited for you! Those crystals are pretty darned amazing.

  2. Rosie

    Thanks for the tutorial on dropping the neckline. Ooh I cannot wait to see the new version w/the crystals.

  3. Meredith P

    Yes, thanks for the tutorial about dropping the neckline. VERY interesting, and I never would have figured that out.

  4. chloeE

    Very helpful tutorial. There’s a lot of geometry in sewing. I can see if one uses it, fitting can be made easier. Beautiful crystals. couldn’t see if there is a coating on the buttons. I work with vintage beads, and swarovski puts coatings on their beads. if they did that with the buttons, any soap on them will remove the finish over time. just a thought.

    chloeE

  5. Theresa in Tucson

    Gigi, the blouse turned out very nice. I’ve always had trouble sewing with silky fabrics. I am most comfortable sewing with the heavier cottons. What size/type needle are you using and what size/type thread?

    • Theresa, I used a size 12 Microtex needle and Swiss Metrosene poly thread. Cotton embroidery thread or C&C Extra Fine thread also work very, very well with silky fabrics. The Metrosene just happened to be the only color match I had on hand.

      I used Mettler polyester embroidery thread for the buttonholes. It adds a nice sheen.

  6. I LOVE your buttons! Those are fabulous and I’m so excited to see your blouse! It’s going to be soooo gorgeous!

  7. Fabulous blouse – your binding attachment looks very interesting!

  8. vernonfashionstudio

    Beautiful crystals!

    Linda T

  9. LOVE those big honkin’ crystals!

  10. Ooooooh those crystals are amazing !

  11. I agree with Phyllis – I LOVE those big honkin’ crystals! ooooohhhhhlalalala baby! :)