I already know what you’re thinking. You think I have lost my mind completely because everyone hates JoAnn’s. Why, it’s practically a requirement for all sewers! Their stores are disorganized, their fabric is yucky, their help isn’t knowledgeable, they sell too many garden ornaments, too much fleece, and so on, ad nauseum, right? Sewers all over the internet are always complaining about JoAnn’s. I wonder if the complainers have ever thought about how terribly inconvenient it would be if the stores closed altogether?
Let’s face it, fabric we can buy online. Sewing advice we can get online. But, what would you do if you couldn’t hop over to JoAnn’s and pick up a few patterns, some thread or notions? My closest independent store is 30 minutes away and doesn’t have several aisles of notions or a huge selection of patterns. So, today, I am going to be thankful for JoAnn’s because they:
1. carry Gutermann thread
2. have a great selection of notions
3. carry Woolly Nylon
4. carry MaxiLock
5. have a large pattern inventory
6. sell chocolate!
7. have pattern sales that our friends abroad are very jealous of
8. 50% off the notions wall sales!
9. have friendly help (at least the ones around here) even if they don’t know how to sew
10. spoil us rotten with coupons
Silver linings, people! So, when is the next Vogue sale? :-)