When I was ironing a couple of Tommy Bahama camp shirts the other day, I noticed that the edgestitching on the facing stopped at the top vs. turning the corner and meeting the collar stitching. I thought I’d give this a try – I’m not sure whether I like it or not. It certainly was easier.
I made an extra thin piece of bias tubing for the button loop. I stitched about 1/8″ from the fold of my bias strip and then turned it with a needle and thread after trimming the seam allowances close to the stitching. Just for kicks, I sewed this entire shirt with Mettler Silk-Finish cotton thread. I must say, I really liked it for the topstitching. The thread melds into the fabric so much better than polyester. I’ll have to see how it holds up in the construction.
Here’s the finished collar area. This is the first time I’ve added the loop. It’s really just decorative since I didn’t sew the necessary button under the collar. The pattern (Kwik-Sew 2935) directs you to cut the loop 1.75″ long which is just a wee bit too long, in my opinion. I think I’ll try 1.5″ on the next shirt.
Tone-on-tone embroidery is a big thing with executives these days. Advertising with a whisper. The embroidery looks a little wonky but that’s because I had it draped over a pile of fabric on my pressing surface when I took the photograph.
Of course, I made him open it tonight before we went to bed and he loved it! He is wearing it tomorrow to the closing.